Good, but the 8 minutes in the middle needs to be broken down into the different activities that will take place. 1 minute at the end may be a bit too short -- I would allow for 2-3 minutes.
Representation is a strong tool to help understand mathematical concepts. Representation comes in a lot of different forms. For example, drawing a rough sketch to solve a word problem, or plotting points on a graph to see how a function looks. One of the author's main convincing point in his argument is the experiment Tchoshanov performed in Russia. To be honest, I do not find the results of this experiment surprising. I believe that a student who is able to put his thoughts(sketches) on paper combined with strong analytic skills will excel greatly compared to students who are only strong in one suit. An example of a mathematical representation would be the blocks used for teaching kids how to count. Kids are able to count quickly if they learn to represent 10 blocks as the 1 long stick, or to represent 100 blocks as the big flat piece. Another example they use is the different ways of presenting a set of 20 dots. On the left, the 20 dots are scattered and in no particular pat...
The earliest positive memory I have of math is when during a tutoring session when I was around grade 1. I vaguely remember scoring a perfect on my test and getting to write my name on the star board. From that point, I remember being very confident in my math abilities throughout elementary. My parents would say I had a 'talent' in math. I believe it was around grade 7 where I started learning about integers and I was struggling. This was the first time I had ever struggled with a math concept. I remember having to redo the test around 2 or 3 times until I finally understood the material. This led me to understand that even though I was strong in other math areas, there were some topics that I would not grasp. I believe that failure has humbled me as a student and gave me a new perspective on math education. As I got into high school, I quickly realized that I was not the only one who was good at math. There were many other students who I thought were much smarter than me. ...
Good, but the 8 minutes in the middle needs to be broken down into the different activities that will take place. 1 minute at the end may be a bit too short -- I would allow for 2-3 minutes.
ReplyDelete